Waitaki District Archive Blog
The Perry family have had a long and remarkable association with North Otago. Benjamin Perry was a quarry owner and the proprietor of the Empire Hotel from 1885 until prohibition began in Oamaru in 1905.
The magnificent Craig's fountain occupies a focal point near the main entrance to the Oamaru Public Gardens. Officially opened during the Floral fete on 13 April 1914, the fountain was purchased with bequest funds of 500 pounds from the estate of prominent Oamaru timber merchant James Craig.
30 years ago on the 15 May 1987 the Archive extension to the North Otago Museum was opened by then Minister of Tourism Mike Moore.
Ernest Rutherford and Frank Milner met during Milner’s first year at Nelson College. It was the start of a friendly association that lasted until Rutherford’s death in 1937. Although Rutherford was four years older than Milner the two shared an intellectual bond.
Jane Macknight, Director of the Gallery, Museum, Archive is delighted to announce a substantial gift from the Sutton family – the complete record of the Waitangi Station, from the late 1880s to 1970s through its farm diaries.