Welcome to the North Otago Museum
On a February afternoon, in 1953, Allan Willetts was using a tractor and swamp plough to dig up a little-used paddock near the Waitaki River mouth. Allan’s parents had just brought lunch for him and his brother Colin when a turn of the plough unearthed many fine stone adzes.
We have moved some of our most exciting collection items from our permanent gallery space (now closed) to our temporary gallery. This is because we have a lot of work to do to prepare for the Cultural Facilities Development Project. We will update our temporary gallery space as we make more progress with Collection projects and developing our top Themes and Stories.