Portrait of a Gallery
Five Artists impressions of the Forrester Gallery.
This impressive building was built in 1884 for the Bank of New South Wales. Architect Robert Lawson designed this neo-classical style building; making brilliant use of local Ōamaru stone.
John Megget Forrester, architect and former mayor of Ōamaru, left a generous bequest to establish a local art gallery. In 1983 this building opened as the Forrester Gallery.
While many visitors are inspired by the art inside the gallery, these artists have captured the beauty of the building and its architectural features from the outside.
The Vault. Free entry.
Image: The Forrester, Zuna Wright, date unknown, Collection of the Forrester Gallery, FG2010.6.2